Saturday, March 11, 2006

New Job - New Commute.

I found out tonight, on June 1, I will be starting a new job in the Company. I will be assume the role of Senior Instructor at my Company's training facility as a subject matter expert on environment, health, and safety topics. Career-wise it is a great opportunity. Commute-wise, well..... no more leisurely bike rides to work.

The new job is in the Long Island City section of Queens. From my home it is about a 1-hour commute using mass transit, or a 45 minute car ride (over a $8.00 round-trip toll bridge). Likely, I'll be using mass transit. The actual "transit" time is 35 minutes, I will have to walk about 25 minutes to get to the train and then from the train to the office.

My plan is to take my old Canondale and use it as a station bike - the train station is about 1 mile from my house. Seeing I will have to catch a 5:32 AM train daily (oooooo..... that sounds way too early) and the bike ride to the station is about 5 minutes (downhill - way cool), I can shave 10 minutes off the trip to work by riding the bike to the station. On the work-end of things I am stuck with a 3/4 mile walk. The upside is, I will have exercise built into my daily commute.

Financially, walking/riding and taking mass transit is more than $3,000 a year less than driving. I am sure if I could find a way to account for the excercise, social, and environmental benefits of using mass transit, the dollars not spent (saved) would be much higher.

I am looking forward to the change, but I will miss the 15 mile round-trip bike commute. I have only 28 work days left where I can ride the 15 mile commute. I hope I can ride them all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home