Thursday, November 24, 2005

Well, let's see where this gets me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Siesfeld, James
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2005 11:05 AM
To: 'california@dahon.com'
Subject: Excessive Tube Failure - 2004 Speed 8

Dear Dahon:

I just found the Topic on the Dahon Forum relating to premature tube failures with the Kinetix Aero, CNC machined sidewalls Rimes and Schwalbe Marathon Slick, 20" x 1.35", 95 psi, 67tpi, Dual Compound Silica casing, Kevlar anti-puncture belt tires http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1138.

Earlier this month I bought new a 2004 Speed 8 from ThorUSA (old stock) and I have been experiencing tube failures at the rate of about 1 tube per 20 miles. The failure rate is abnormal and getting to be very expensive - I have replaced 7 tubes (at $5.00 each = $35.00) and I have only owned the bike for a month.

I have ridden bicycles many thousands of miles and never had such problems with a new bicycle. I have ridden many miles on recumbents with 20 inch wheels and have never had tire problems like I am having with the Speed 8 tire/wheel combination (http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=5fc67b015fdd613c741846df0e28f8c0&threadid=1160).

What is the solution to the tire problem?

While I am at it, I can not keep the chain on the Speed 8's lowest gear, and I don't agree with the advice on the Dahon Forum that this is normal. The bike has been ridden almost 100 miles and the lowest gear is useless. I have checked the chain ring, it isn't bent. The rear cluster is aligned. The rear derailleur has been adjusted and functions flawlessly, and I have been meticulous about keeping the chain clean and lubricated.

What is the solution to the first gear chain hop problem?

I love the bike (I have started chronicling my commute on my Blog http://dahon-speed8-commute.blogspot.com/ and http://electric-bike-commuting.blogspot.com/) and I hope to ride and write about my experience with the Speed 8 for many (thousands) of miles to come.

I look forward to hearing from Dahon.

Thank you.

Jim Siesfeld (a/k/a Pumpkinhead)
39 Vaughn Avenue
New Rochelle, NY 10801
jim@siesfeld.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home