Friday, December 30, 2005

December 30, 2005 – I rode to work and I bonked!

I bonked on the way to work. It’s the first time I have bonked in a long time. I can’t even remember the last time I bonked, but I remember the feeling all too well. I attribute bonking to: 1). Not riding more than 5 miles at any one time during the past 2-months; 2). I have only ridden half as much as I normally would because of the recent cold, wet, and nasty winter weather; 3). The temperature was just above freezing; 4). I am out of shape; and, 5). My biorhythm is shot because I am working nights and I haven’t eaten anything in the past 20 hours (the food intake is probably the big issue here).

I felt the bonk mostly in my legs. Half way up the last big hill my legs turned into limp noodles, and 3-hours later my legs are still cramping up. I have since eaten and my energy level is picking up. I worked all last night (12-hours), got home and didn’t get to sleep until 7:30 AM and I slept until 3:00 PM, but it wasn’t a good sleep because it was punctuated with the kids poking me to see if I was alive and my wife asking me some critical questions – why do they always ask the “big” questions when you are sleeping? Is it they know I am not conscious? There was nothing in the refrigerator that struck my fancy so I didn’t eat before I left for work.

The ride to work was otherwise uneventful. During the first ¾ of the ride I past all my bench marks in normal time, then a half mile past my last big benchmark my legs cramped up and I had to take a 5-minute break which I used to change my bandana and put on finger-gloves. Shortly thereafter I made a second stop and picked up diner at a local pizza restaurant. With two stops, bonking the last quarter, and stopping at busy intersections (it was Friday night rush hour so I rode conservatively), the trip took 1-hour my actual ride time was 45 minutes – not bad for riding in the dark, during rush hour, and in freezing weather.

The early morning forecast is for subfreezing temperatures. Right now I am planning my commute home to be a little different and I will tap the beauty of the folder. I will ride to the local train station 1-mile away from the office, hop the early train to my neighborhood station, and then ride the last 1-mile home. If I plan the trip right, the travel time will be about 45 minutes and limit my exposure to the cold weather.

Now, I haven’t ridden the Dahon much, so I am still getting use to the tight geometry and 20 inch wheels. As such, I really can’t tell if there is a difference between the urethane and pneumatic tires. I am also still trying to dial-in the right fit, and I have been playing with stem/handlebar height and seat heights. I also think the bar ends will help the fit too. It’s also nice to have the 1st gear now working.

Presently, I have one Wald folding basket in the left side of my rear rack. I don’t think I like this set up. I want to try a folding basket mounted on top of the rack. Better yet would be a backpack that would snap on and off the top of the rack. For commuting, I find panniers a little too limiting and not as flexible or easy as just throwing a pack on my back. No that I don’t have to carry as many tools because of the urethane tires.

More soon…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home